Something an Ex-Noncom Ought to be Able to Do Standing on His Head
We can’t exactly describe what is presented below as a job and it is for a pittance, but is that new to many of us ex-soldiers? And is finding a job the only thing that determines a meaningful and rewarding life? Some things appeal to higher reasoning: the wife wants you out from underfoot, you are bored and looking for something to do … or you want to do some good for others.
Well, stand up and give Habitat for Humanity of the Lehigh Valley, a member organization, a try. Don’t let the homebuilding construction knowledge requirement deter you from applying. Show them the value of a “military education” — we know how to lead, learn quickly, can adapt ourselves to the situation, and continue to give more of ourselves than money can pay.
For the younger of you, it won’t hurt the resume, either.
JOB POSTING: Construction Assistant
This is a part-time/seasonal position scheduled to begin immediately with the possibility of permanent part-time employment.
Reporting to the on-site Construction Manager, this position will support the construction team by providing leadership for volunteer groups and all construction volunteers. Home building construction knowledge is required
This is a part-time/temporary position working Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday from 7:00am – 3:00pm. Salary range is $11 – 13 per hour based on experience.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Leading volunteer groups
- Willingness to work with volunteers on-site
- Loading, unloading and transportation of building materials
- Help with construction as necessary
- Clean-up and maintenance of jobsites and maintenance of Habitat properties not yet under construction
- Ability to work with diverse groups of individuals in a team construction environment
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable
- Home building construction knowledge
- Volunteer management
- Strong communication skills
Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline is September 26, 2014.
As of 11 September 2014